Dear colleagues,

One important activity of the Europeana Data Quality Committee (DQC) is to develop recommendations on EDM elements in order to fulfill the usage scenarios as provided in the DQC’s “Discovery – User scenarios and their metadata requirements”. [1]

Part of the discussion on the usage scenarios has been the need for supporting Events data in EDM, which would both allow for browsing by Events as well as filtering results – e.g. after searching the collections for agents, dates, places – by the types of events associated.

This is the starting point of an 4 months effort by DQC where we gather and analyse evidence and interest for event data. Results will be communicated afterwards to those in charge of developing Europeana-related services, for them to make a decision on whether (and how) to include the exploitation of event data in appropriate implementation roadmaps.

We are therefore now aiming at formulating requirements in terms of data modelling for supporting Events. The first step is to map existing events data to the current EDM specifications for events [2] and provide feedback on the current EDM model. We are also seeking to assess the contribution of ingesting 'real' event data (i.e. event data that Europeana could ingest) for the user scenarios identified by the group.

We like to ask you for providing us with some data examples from your organization or project, that would require or benefit in terms of quality from the use of the edm:Event class. The analysis of the data examples will take place as a group effort (including 1 or 2 calls) so you are also very welcome to actively take part in this prototyping exercise!

If you would like to participate to the exercise, please contact Regine Stein [[log in to unmask]] and/or Valentine Charles [[log in to unmask]].

We thank you very much in advance for your contribution

Best wishes,

Valentine Charles and Regine Stein

on behalf of the Data Quality Committee

[1] Discovery – User scenarios and their metadata requirements, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ej0ouDg_uhOVnE1LE2-IEtI9xNhMpeqzNIIwSjLoAbI/

[2] EDM specifications for events, https://github.com/europeana/corelib/wiki/EDMObjectTemplatesProviders#edmEvent

Valentine Charles Data R&D Coordinator
T: +31 (0)70 314 1182
E: [log in to unmask]  | Skype: charles.valentine

Be part of Europe's online cultural movement - join the Europeana Network Association:
http://bit.ly/NetworkAssociation |
#AllezCulture | @Europeanaeu | Europeana Pro website

Disclaimer: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate,
distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your
system.