Dear people,

I don’t know who you are and why I am on your list, but these mails are becoming more than just spam. GET ME OFF THIS LIST!

Thank you very much,
Erik Schilp

From: Discussion list for Europeana Technical Developments <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jane Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday 25 April 2016 at 10:51
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Question about data models or standards for representing exhibitions?

The idea of modelling an exhibition on Wikidata with data from a museum database is nice, but in order to get there you need to establish a starting position with a group of exhibition items so you can experiment with that dataset. We see this in the Wikidata Sum of all Paintings project with how we model paintings. We propose properties as we start to see and feel a need for them, but we still keep a very low threshold of properties necessary to get items on the radar of this Wikidata project. As a volunteer-run organization, you need a way for people to contribute and have fun while doing so. Asking them to add an exhibition with 15 fields is not the way to do this. However, you can ask them for the minimum number of fields necessary so someone else can eventually add that data. The context, remember, is that Swedish museums and the Wikimedia Sweden chapter are running a project to 1) create articles on Wikipedia about specific exhibitions and would like to also include 2) structured data (I think on Wikidata) about these exhibitions.

To do (1) you need the type of information available to the general public about the exhibition (local papers, museum website, and so forth). To do (2) you need to decide on these "minimum number of fields" that could be used for a Wikipedia "infobox" that can pull that data. Taking a stab at it, I would say these fields (to begin with) are name (if a traveling exhibition, then the translated name for those other language labels on Wikidata, and otherwise use the first museum's title for all other languages), next location (museum item), and start and finish dates (to be qualified per exhibition location if more than one). Besides those three basic fields, other fields can be added as the project grows according to the wisdom of people working with Wikdata and exhibitions.