I strongly support Go in this. Everything that is published should have a persistent URI!

Makx.

De: Discussion list for Europeana Technical Developments [mailto:[log in to unmask]] En nombre de For It Go
Enviado el: 25 March 2015 09:03
Para: [log in to unmask]
Asunto: Re: Your advice on minting URIs for contextual entities

Dear Antoine et al,

This may not be the most appropriate place to tell, but I just find it timely for URI discussions in a widest context of R&D. You can share it with the Europeana web team, if you like.

It is brilliant that Europeana keeps updating professional websites (Pro, Lab), but I would like to kindly ask Europeana to try to find a solution to maintain/re-direct/archive etc for (old) web pages and documents. Over the last years I have written several academic articles (and I am writing one right now), referring to Europeana websites, but the URLs keep breaking (I reckon this time c50% is broken just between Nov 2014 and Mar 2015), mainly due to the restructuring of the websites, I think. I understand the nature of living websites, but, from a research point of view and Europeana's lines of work, it is not nice for the writers like me, and the (future) readers.

As well as discussing PID for the portal, I would think it beneficial for Europeana to consider more persistence of its "academic resources" ;-), because they are important for the community and beyond.
How can you maintain the URIs of millions, if you cannot do it for a hundred of Europeana documents?

Many thanks,
Go