De : Antoine Isaac [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Envoyé : mardi 24 mars 2015 15:45
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : Your advice on minting URIs for contextual entities

Dear all,

We're about to mint identifiers (URIs) for contextual entities to be used in
Europeana. This will concern concepts, agents or places to be used for
enrichment [1] and a couple of other things. The data will be adapted from
external or providers' datasets, and will eventually have to be available as
linked data on data.europeana.eu.

After internal discussions, we have to choose between two options:

1. A bare numerical identifier, as in
http://data.europeana.eu/agent/12345

2. A number combined with a human-readable label, as in
http://data.europeana.eu/agent/12345_johannes_sebastian_bach

In any case URIs would lead to machine-readable data for software clients,
while humans would be directed to pages like [2]. But human-readable labels
in identifiers would help to identify and discuss the resources more easily.
So option 2 is very tempting.
However, option 2 is slightly harder to implement. Also, we would have to
choose one field in the data, and one language (as we do for other
communication, including this mail). Both field and language could change
from one source to the other, when we merge different datasets.

We're curious to hear whether you have a preference! We have created a small
poll:
http://doodle.com/sdpftvqq6e3shw4v

Note that it is not a a majority vote. We may end up not have the resource
to implement the more complex option. Also, one could have a killer argument
for one option, that defeats all other considerations :-). You can leave
comments at the bottom of the poll page.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Antoine

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JvjrWMTpMIH7WnuieNqcT0zpJAXUPo6x4uMBj1pE