Namens: Organisation TRAC 2008 [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

CALL FOR PAPERS and REGISTRATION

The 18th Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference (TRAC) will take place
in Amsterdam (The Netherlands) on the 5th and 6th of April, 2008.
Breaking with tradition, TRAC 2008 will be organised outside of the
United Kingdom. English, though, will remain the sole conference and
corresponding language. However, this should not impede non-native
speakers in contributing and participating.

TRAC is an annual conference, set up to widen the range of perspectives
offered, and voices heard, in Roman archaeology. Above all it aims to be
a forum for postgraduates, young scholars and archaeologists in the
wider archaeological community.

We are inviting everyone to come forward with papers for this
conference. You can email your proposal to [log in to unmask] . The
proposal should contain a title and a short description of the contents
of the paper (200 words max.). Papers should not exceed 20 minutes.
Please state clearly in which session you would like to present your
paper. A list of sessions follows below.

The deadline for submitting proposals is the 15th of January 2008. After
this date the session-organisers will select the most promising papers
and contact all contributors.

We would like to ask anyone submitting a paper, and of course anyone
else who is interested, to register for TRAC as soon as possible -
Registration is open from today. Registration-forms are available to be
downloaded and/or printed from our website www.trac2008.nl, to be
returned either by email or printed and filled out manually. The
postal-address for conventional mail is on our website. Anyone who
wishes to book accommodation at the Amsterdam Youth Hostel (the best
price/quality ratio available in the city centre) is urged to register
before the 1st of January, because we can guarantee availability of
accommodation only until that date.

Please check our webiste for more information and updates.

Looking forward to receiving your proposals,

TRAC 2008 Organising Committee

Mark Driessen
Stijn Heeren
Joep Hendriks
Fleur Kemmers
Ronald Visser

List of Sessions open for contributions (Abstract can be found on our
website)

1.	Experiencing Space and Place in the Roman World
2.	Digital Landscapes - New Technology, New Understanding?
3.	Identity, Religion and Language in Gaul and Iberia 300 BC - AD
100
4.	Acculturation or what? The Uses of Style in the Roman
Mediterranean
5.	Image and Self-Image: Military Identities
6.	Dealing with Dichotomies in Roman Archaeology
7.	Supplying (or starving?) the army. The possibilities and
limitations of 	surplus production in rural settlements.
8.	Living beyond the Grave: the Continuing Role of the Deceased in
Roman Society
9.	Conquering the Landscape
10.	The 'Spatial Turn' and Beyond: Roman Cities and the Archaeology
of Daily Life
11.	Imperial Communication
12.	Migration in the Roman Empire
13.	Water