NEDBIB-L@LIST.ECOMPASS.NL

NEDBIB-L Home

NEDBIB-L  February 1995

NEDBIB-L February 1995

GreyNet Newsletter

Dominic Farace <[log in to unmask]>

Op SURFnet aangesloten bibliotheken <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Feb 1995 23:05:38 +0100

TRANSATLANTIC : NewsBriefNews (EMAIL EDITION)

GREY LITERATURE NETWORK SERVICE
Vol. 4, No. 1, 1995     ISSN 0929-0923

EDITORIAL ADDRESS =========================================================

Koninginneweg 201
1075 CR Amsterdam, Netherlands
Tel/Fax: 31-(0)20-671.1818
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Annual subscription: DFL. 40

CONTENTS ==================================================================

1. GL'95 Site Report
2. Advanced Call for Papers
3. Special Market Profile
4. Seminar Notebook (1st ed.)
5. Email-Gopher Survey
6. International Grey Guide
7. GreyNet Subscription Service

1. GL'95 SITE REPORT ======================================================

In early January, a fact finding visit was made to the campus of the
Catholic University of America (CUA) in Washington D.C. There the Second
International Conference on Grey Literature will be held from November 2-3,
1995. The Director of GL'95 met with Dr. Elisabeth Aversa, Dean of the
School of Library and Information Science and Member of the GL'95 Program
Committee. Among other things, preparations for the first meeting of the
Program Committee were discussed. That meeting is now scheduled for April
7th 1995. Ms. Carol Graves Holladay, Director of CUA Conferences provided a
tour of the campus facilities where GL'95 will be held. And, it is with
complete confidence that the GL'95 Organising Bureau is able to assure the
conference goers that the choice of CUA meets every requirement for an
international meeting of its kind. The campus has its own Metro station
only two stops from Union Rail Station. And, Caldwell Hall where the
Plenary Sessions will be held is directly across from Hannan Hall where the
break-out sessions are scheduled. Support services such as AVM, Catering,
Security, etc. are completely available. Other advantages of the CUA site
include an academic environment for this S&T event, along with spacious
grounds for a bit of R&R between sessions.

2. ADVANCED CALL FOR PAPERS ===============================================

The deadline for submission of papers for GL'95 has been extended to March
31, 1995. If you are planning to submit an abstract, please notify the
Conference Bureau as soon as possible. At their meeting on April 7th 1995,
the GL'95 Program Committee will review the abstracts received and discuss
further the GL'95 Program and Agenda. There will be no pre-recorded
videotaping of the Cluster Sessions, thus all sessions will be presented
live. Authors should make use of the 250 words allotted for their abstract.
Please do not forget to provide the Title of your paper along with the
Session (I, II, or III) in which it will be presented.

3. SPECIAL MARKET PROFILE =================================================

An International S&T Meeting relies both on content and form for its
success. The Market presentations at GL'95 will provide ample illustration
and demonstration of grey literature products and services that are
available worldwide. Those who choose to provide a Market Presentation at
GL'95 are asked to submit a brief summary of their organisation's products
and services rendered in the area of Grey Literature. Feel free to use the
simple format found on the back page of the GL'95 Announcement. This
information will also appear in the International Guide to Persons and
Organisations in Grey Literature that is being compiled in advance of
GL'95. If your organisation would like to advertise in one of the GL'95
Publications, a price list can be obtained through the Conference Bureau.

4. SEMINAR NOTEBOOK (1st Ed.) =============================================

State of the Art Seminar on Grey Literature : 1994-1995 / D.J. Farace ;
Grey Literature Network Service. - Amsterdam : TransAtlantic, 1995. -
100 p. : ill. ; 30 cm. - References
Contains the prologue to each of the four sessions in which the seminar is
divided. Each prologue is succeeded by supplementary materials.
ISBN 90-74854-07-9

In 1993, the First International Conference on Grey Literature (GL'93) was
held in Amsterdam. The main sponsor of that event was EAGLE, European
Association for Grey Literature Exploitation. In that same year NASA
organised its Third Annual Foreign Acquisitions Workshop (FAW'93) in The
United States entitled "Improving Access to Foreign Gray Literature". In a
comprehensive study of the information found both in the GL'93 Conference
Proceedings and in the FAW'93 publication, an attempt is made to provide
the "state of the art" on Grey Literature in a seminar format.
In order to incorporate the already existing body of knowledge in this
field, an Annotated Bibliography on the Topic of Grey Literature was first
compiled and served as the basis for this work.

5. EMAIL-GOPHER SURVEY ====================================================

A research project carried our by Ms. Inge de Heer, graduate student in the
Faculty of Economics and Information at the City College of Amsterdam is
under way. The goal of this R&D project is threefold: (1) to ascertain how
well the products and services rendered by GreyNet, Grey Literature Network
Service meet the demands of its target groups, (2) to make recommendations
for the provision of new products and services that can be provided via the
Internet, and (3) to advise on the promotional activities that should be
undertaken in order to interest potential users about GreyNet's products and
services.
For this purpose, a questionnaire is being constructed and will be carried
out via electronic mail. The questionnaire will also be made available via
the GreyNet Gopher on the Internet, in the event that others may wish to
respond. The results of this research project will serve as the basis for
a proposed paper at GL'95.

6. INTERNATIONAL GREY GUIDE ===============================================

In an effort to compile an International Guide to Persons and Organisations
in Grey Literature, a selection from available records in GreyNet's
Directory was made. These records were mailed along with the last issue of
NewsBriefNews. Recipients were asked to check the existing information in
their record and to add further information regarding their organisation's
products and services in the area of grey literature.
To date, more than 150 records have been received. The editorial staff
extends its appreciation for the information and documentation that has
already been forwarded. For those who would still like to contribute to this
resource in grey literature, the deadline for entry in the printed version
is August 31, 1995.

HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF RECORDS SUBMITTED FOR THE GUIDE:

Example 1:

Ms. I. Vounakis, Directorate General DG/13/D.2
Commission of the European Communities
24, avenue de Beaulieu - 0/29
1160 Bruxelles
Belgium
---
TEL: 32-2-90464
FAX: 32-2-90467
EML: [log in to unmask]
---
GREY LITERATURE PRODUCTS:
* EU scientific and technical publications database (RTD Publications)

GREY LITERATURE SERVICES:
* RTD-Publications as part of CORDIS (Community Research and Development
  Information Service)

(INTER)NATIONAL NETWORKING (GL):
* EU input in SIGLE

Example 2:

M. Apolena Roubinkova, Assistant Librarian
Faculty of Agricultural Sciences
Passage des Deportes, 2
B-5030 Gembloux
Belgium
---
TEL: 32-81-622136
FAX: 32-81-614544
EML: [log in to unmask]
---
GREY LITERATURE PRODUCTS:
* Bullettin of agronomic researches in Gembloux, original scientific
  publications

GREY LITERATURE SERVICES:
* The Documentation Centre delivers copies of original documents from
  AGLINET, AGRIS, etc

(INTER)NATIONAL NETWORKING (GL):
* RECODA; AGRIS; AGLINET

Example 3:

Mrs. Kate Kwafo-Akoto, NIR
Librarian/Documentalist University of Botswana
National Institute of Research and Documentation
Private Bag 0022
Gaborone
Botswana
---
TEL: 267-356.364/5
FAX: 267-357.573
EML: [log in to unmask]
---
GREY LITERATURE PRODUCTS:
* DEVINDEX - Botswana: An Abstract Bibliography

GREY LITERATURE SERVICES:
* Computerized Database Searching

(INTER)NATIONAL NETWORKING (GL):
* AIM, African Index Medicus Project
* CABECA, Capacity Building for Electronic Communication in Africa

Example 4:

Mr. Bert Verstappen, HURIDOCS Information Officer
Human Rights Information and Documentation Systems,
International
2, rue Jean-Jaquet
CH-1201 Geneva
Switzerland
---
TEL: 41-22-741.1767
FAX: 41-22-741.1768
EML: [log in to unmask]
---
GREY LITERATURE PRODUCTS:
* Standard Formats for the Recording and Exchange of Bibliographic
  Information concerning Human Rights
* Standard Formats: A Tool for Documenting Human Rights Violations
* Supporting Documents
* Information for Human Rights: A HURIDOCS Reader for Information
                                                                                   Workers
GREY LITERATURE SERVICES:
* Training of human rights documentalists and information workers

(INTER)NATIONAL NETWORKING (GL):
HURIDOCS is a network of human rights organisations worldwide concerned
with information and documentation. HURIDOCS itself is not a documentation
centre nor does it have publicly accessible databases. A large part of
the most relevant literature related to human rights consists of the
brochures, newsletters, and reports published in particular by the several
thousands of non-governmental human rights organisations worldwide.

PURPOSE AND GOALS OF GREYNET

The Grey Literature Network Service is established in order to promote and
support the work of authors and researchers on the topic of Grey
Literature. This is achieved through the enhancement of international
cooperation, through training and conference organisation, through the
publication of research findings, as well as through the establishment of
a worldwide information referral service. In this capacity, GreyNet
actively compiles bibliographic, documentary, and factual information on
persons, organisations, and their respective products and services in the
area of GL.

GREYNET'S ACTIVITIES

The above goals are not envisaged as lofty proposals, but are implemented
in well established and engineered products and services to meet the
Information needs of authors, librarians, teachers, researchers,
publishers, database producers, information brokers, end-users, etc.
GreyNet is well aware that the producers of Grey Literature are at the same
time the users of Grey Literature and that their concern with information
overload can only be dealt with while confronting the problems of
information under-use and the ever increasing loss of 'grey' information.

BENEFITS OF SUBSCRIPTION

1. A flat 15% reduction on all conferences and seminars organized by
   TransAtlantic or in cooperation with TransAtlantic's GreyNet.

2. A flat 15% reduction on all information products published by
   TransAtlantic.

3. A flat 15% reduction on all printed advertisements and inserts, as well
   as electronic postings in GreyNet's Gopher on the Internet.

4. A full subscription to NewsBriefNews a quarterly newsletter published
   and edited by TransAtlantic. Delivery in both printed and electronic
   mail format.

5. Unlimited login and information retrieval in the GreyNet Gopher via
   The Netherlands National Library Gopher Service.

6. Pre-payment waiver on product deliveries.

7. Reduction Guarantee on all of GreyNet's products and services in
   development phase.

GREYNET GOPHER LOGIN

For more information about GreyNet's Products and Services, please consult
the GreyNet Gopher:

(a) telnet> open gopher.konbib.nl
     login> gopher
(b) UNIX: gopher gopher.konbib.nl
(c) URL : gopher://gopher.konbib.nl/11/.greynet

|------------------------------------------|
| Title: (Mr) (Mrs) (Ms) (Dr)              |
| Name: (last, first, initials)            |
|------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------|
| Address/P.O.Box:                         |
|------------------------------------------|
| Pcode/City/Country:                      |
|------------------------------------------|
| Tel:            Fax:            E-mail:  |
|------------------------------------------|
| Signature:                               |                                                                                                 Date:
N.B. Upon receipt of the coupon, an invoice
and a specially prepared portfolio on
GreyNet's products and services will be mailed
to you.

PLEASE RETURN TO:
GreyNet, Grey Literature Network Service
Koninginneweg 201; 1075 CR Amsterdam, NL
Tel/Fax: 31-(0)20-671.1818
Email: [log in to unmask]