Re: It is FAIR but is it ethical?

Antoine Isaac <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Dec 2019 21:30:40 +0100

Dear Pat,

Thanks for the clarification.
To me it seems that you require more restrictive rights on the content, not the metadata.

Indeed the attribution for metadata (records) would be the creator of the metadata, for example the Africa Museum.
In your example the contributors/authors from the country are not contributors to the metadata. They are rather contributors to the content (the plant). Same for the country of origin: the origin of the metadata would be Belgium, the origin of the content would be the place in Africa where it's been collected.

Well to be honest this may be debatable in the case of the one metadata field that would describe how the plant is used (NB: *not* all the other metadata fields!). One could say that there is some contribution to that one field, coming from Africa. But even then I'd argue that the most efficient way to enforce proper attribution is to have it on the content. In Europeana the main 'user' case is access to content, metadata is only a means to that case. So if you tell everyone wanting to re-use content that they have to keep the attribution that you give for them (*in* the metadata, not *on* the metadata) then re-users will have to pass this attribution on. If you put only a BY on metadata, then data re-users would attribute the Africa Museum instead of the African folk/country involved with the plant, which is probably not your main goal.

All the best,

Antoine

=====