EUROPEANA-TECH  December 2019

EUROPEANA-TECH December 2019

Re: Call for contributions: multilingual data for eTranslation and feedback on proposals for addressing multilingual issues in Europeana

Antoine Isaac <[log in to unmask]>

Antoine Isaac <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Dec 2019 15:15:51 +0100

Let me share with you some reactions from Andrea Lösch, from DFKI, who is involved with ELRC-SHARE, about two specific points.
Hopefully this will answer some (most?) of the worries raised here about licenses and re-usability. ELRC-SHARE has indeed a clearing process that ensure no unintended re-use happens.

1. "I think we should consult a person with a strong legal background to find out if in this case copyright is an issue as the texts are neither published nor used as a whole but disassembled into pieces that are statistically analysed and integrated into a knowledge base which might be protected by database copyright law."

=> I would suggest to be in touch with the Technical and Legal Helpdesk (http://www.lr-coordination.eu/helpdesk) either by phone, email, or via webform. The legal consultants can advise you on the licensing issues.

2. "Nevertheless, the training texts will be uploaded on the ELRC-SHARE platform and are visible there for registered users of the platform."

=> This is not correct. All resources initially are in the internal status (until, e.g. licensing conditions are clear). As such, they are initially (prior to their clearance) only visible to the persons who uploaded them and to the administrators of the ELRC-SHARE. This remains the case until they are cleared. The clearing process happens as collaboration between the ELRC-SHARE administrators (editors) and the contributors of these resources.

Best,

Antoine

=====