Fwd: W3C Art & Culture Community Group

Antoine Isaac <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Nov 2017 22:40:49 +0100

Of obvious interest!

Antoine

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: W3C Art & Culture Community Group
From: 	Robert Sanderson <[log in to unmask]>

Dear all,

The W3C has started to engage with the challenges of cultural heritage organizations on the web, with the creation of the Art and Culture Community Group: https://www.w3.org/community/art/

The initial discussions took place last week at the annual plenary meeting, and both Linked Data and IIIF were topics of great interest.  The group's proposer is one of the W3C staff members from the China office, rather than a member organization.

Participation in the group is a great opportunity to ensure that the web architectural design and infrastructure recognizes the and supports the value that our organizations collectively bring, and a venue for reaching out to non-CH organizations that share our values or can support our missions.  Paid W3C membership is NOT required to join the community group, though an account and simple contribution agreement is, in order to avoid IPR issues in the future.

The current scope of the group is as follows, though by being part of the discussions we can help to ensure its value to our community:

     The Art & Culture (Museums) On The Web Community Group is an open forum for collaborative discussions about making the Web a better place for the artifacts and other objects of artistic, cultural, historical, or scientific importance in the museums worldwide. Use cases and requirements collection, gap analysis, standardization ideas incubation and technical proposal might be included in the work scale of this group.

Please do consider joining to support our collective mission of making cultural content as accessible as possible on the web.  Please also consider forwarding this message to other appropriate groups that you are part of.

Many thanks!

Rob

--
Rob Sanderson