Monospaced Font

EUROPEANA-TECH  May 2014

EUROPEANA-TECH May 2014

PRELIDA / ESWC Summer School 2014: Applications Open

Antoine Isaac <[log in to unmask]>

Antoine Isaac <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 31 May 2014 17:32:07 +0200

[apologies for cross postings - Note that this year's edition of the ESWC summer school is even more relevant than usual, with an emphasis on linked data preservation and a keynote from British Museum
- Antoine]

** This year, ESWC Summer School will feature a parallel track associated with the PRELIDA EU project (http://prelida.eu/). This track will focus on raising awareness on the digital preservation of Linked Data in related communities and will expose students to the challenges and opportunities associated with this area. To cover this topic the track will be given by a number of experts from the Digital Preservation community who will give presentations and hands-on tutorials as well as supporting group project work. Thus, students at this year’s school will have an opportunity, if desired, to gain knowledge of digital preservation as well as the technologies associated with Linked Open Data.

“Attending this summer school eventually lead not only to some nice paper collaborations but also paved the way to the PhD position in Germany that I’m currently holding.” Former Venezuelan student now at KIT.

“Looking back after two years, I can say that the ESWC summer school has been the most influential event in my research career so far.” Former student from Ghent University

“It has been a fantastic experience that ironed out many of the gaps I found during self learning, while also pointing me to the topics I should further learn. It also left me with many contacts whom I can readily approach.” 2013 student

-------------------------------------
Main Page: http://summerschool2014.eswc-conferences.org/
Registration page: http://summerschool2014.eswc-conferences.org/apply/

Closing date for registration: June 20th, 2014
Notification of Acceptance: June 27th, 2014
Deadline for Payment: July 21st, 2014

Fees for STI International Members: 735
Fees for non-members: 790

-------------------------------------

The fourth ESWC Summer School will take place the beautiful village of Kalamaki Crete 1st – 6th September, 2014. The overall goal for this event is to provide intensive training and networking opportunities for the next ESWC generation. In particular we wish to facilitate the creation of a new cohort of ESWC: Master's, Ph.D. students and junior researchers who will in time become the next leaders of the ESWC conference and of the Linked Data/Semantic Web research area in general.

This year there will be a parallel track associated with the PRELIDA EU project allowing attendees to also gain knowledge on the digital preservation of Linked Data if so desired.

Over the last few years the value of Open Educational Resources (OERs) within Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCs) has received significant attention in the media. The summer school will make extensive use of OERs from the Euclid and PlanetData EU projects allowing participants to:

· View the materials which form the basis for the technical part of the Summer School as high quality eBooks (available on eBook readers, on iPads and Kindle) and in web form before attending (see http://summerschool2014.eswc-conferences.org/learning-materials/).
· View the technical presentations as Webinars (see above URL).
· Provide feedback on all materials to the course authors and Summer School tutors for the benefit of both educators and learners.

Keynotes
· Abraham Bernstein, University of Zurich,
· Marko Grobelnik, Josef Stefan Institute
· Guus Schreiber, VU University Amsterdam
. Dominic Oldman, British Museum

Tutors
· Maribel Acosta, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
· Irini Fundulaki, FORTH
· Max van Kleek, University of Southampton and the Open Data Institute
· Barry Norton, British Museum
· Elena Simperl, University of Southampton
. Dumitru Roman, SINTEF
. René van Horik, DANS
. Sotiris Batsakis, University of Huddersfield
. José María García, STI Innsbruck, University of Innsbruck

Organisation
· John Domingue, KMi, The Open University and STI International
· Elena Simperl, University of Southampton

The topics of the ESWC summer school will be aligned with the most prominent and emerging topics of the ESWC conference. This year our topics are aligned with the latest developments in Linked Data and also with Big Data.

We will also provide opportunities for attendees to network with their peers, the school tutors and keynotes as well as senior members of STI International and senior members of the Semantic Web community who are participate in related events.

The organization and tutorial team for this summer school have extensive experience in these types of events having organized similar events in Europe, the US and Asia over a number of years. Building from this experience, and also knowledge of pedagogy we know that learning-by-doing leads to successful learning. We also know the true value of networking in the research context and that this is best supported by an informal atmosphere coupled with an enjoyable inclusive social program. Supporting the above will be a dominant theme of the EWSC summer school and a significant portion of the school will involve hands-on sessions with the latest generation of Linked Data and Semantic Web tools.

The summer school is open to anyone studying in a Semantic Web related post-graduate course or is at an early stage of a Semantic Web related career and is engaged in suitable Semantic Web activities. Places will be limited to 50 in order to ensure that all participating students receive quality time with their tutors. Accepted students will be obliged to attend the whole week.

We encourage anyone who is at an early stage of their Semantic Web career to apply our school which benefits from its close association with the conference.

The ESWC summer school is supported by a number of European projects including FORGE, PRELIDA, PlanetData and also videolectures.net.