EUROPEANA-TECH  January 2014

EUROPEANA-TECH January 2014

Re: Europeana EDM collection profile and vocabulary for describing collections

Marie-Claire Dangerfield <[log in to unmask]>

Marie-Claire Dangerfield <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Jan 2014 10:06:08 +0000

Again to clarify, the vocabulary (it's probably the wrong term to use, but it has stuck now) was designed in order to conduct a survey of material  in Europeana (the survey is https://docs.google.com/forms/d/12LMyQxQTGmVN9qqxdwDGRvPWfp_iHgf_d3TzNwtBpV4/viewform) which will be distributed shortly to providers to give to their data providers. There are over 30million records in the portal, and unless we approached data providers directly we would be unable to do this type of analysis. With this in mind the aggregation team (mainly me and Francesca with help from R&D, and CERL) compiled the vocabulary on a practical level for data providers, it was not meant to be an exhaustive list of subjects and object types. We used the existing media types from EDM, with CERIF subject headings, we did try to use different vocabularies for the different media types (e.g. FIAF for VIDEO, dewey for text etc) but the links were not resolvable, which was a necessary factor to consider, in addition to this the explanations for dbpedia were in a variety of languages which made it more appealing to use say over LOC and Getty (which is not yet LOD). We tried to keep it as simple as possible with a limited hierarchy for this purpose.

I agree that we could have expanded many areas, but this would lead to confusion on the data provider side (because we had to take into account all 2200 data providers and the extreme range of topics covered), and make the survey unworkable. Coupled with this we thought we might tie in the results of the survey with the EDM collection profiles, and as the dbpedia headings are easiest to add in manually during the ingestion process this made most sense. Again not to exclude other vocabularies like UNESCO/ MICHEL/PATHS, it was purely practical reasoning... We had very successful results (including collection descriptions!) with the test pilot so we hope that will continue when the survey is sent out to all providers this week.

So a compromise had to be reached between results and vocabulary content. The vocabulary as it was created, unfortunately cannot be all things to all people. However we could work on this once the survey has been completed (in Q2 this year) and improve the range covered by the vocabulary.

Hope that gives more context!
Kind regards,
Marie-Claire