EUROPEANA-TECH  January 2014

EUROPEANA-TECH January 2014

Re: Europeana EDM collection profile and vocabulary for describing collections

Kate Fernie <[log in to unmask]>

Kate Fernie <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Jan 2014 16:50:12 +0000

Dear Marie Claire,

I first saw a version of the collection vocabulary when it was shared with
the Europeana task force on Multilingual and Semantic Strategies by
Antoine Isaac.

I was very surprised to see that proposes a hierarchy by object type,
which suggests that łarchaeological sites˛ are somehow narrow terms of
images or 3D, along with heraldry - there are some other surprises in the
other type lists.   The thinking isnąt explained, so its not clear why
this has been done or how it will be usedŠ

Or why DGpedia is suggested rather than something like the UNESCO subject
headings vocabulary, or the one from the Library of Congress, or even the
multilingual vocabulary prepared for MICHAEL culture.

Maybe someone can share some more background about this work?

With best wishes,

Kate