EuropeanaTech conference

Antoine Isaac <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Jan 2014 13:20:07 +0100

As promised in the call today, an email to start the discussion on EuropeanaTech.

I've got the confirmation by Jill that we're still after a conference like the one 3 years ago. So two days, planned for December in Paris--but the precise date is still not known.

We need to start the organization now. What the Dow says
[
A large scale Plenary conference promoting the technical innovations and work of the group together with some inspirational international developments will be held at the Bibliothè€que nationale de France (BnF) in 2014. This task is responsible for the development of the programme.
]

Some outstanding items:

- who takes the formal lead. Max has suggested hiring someone at ONB, I believe it would be quite right. If it's someone from the Europeana office, a lot of info exchange may end up confined in The Hague. It would also help convince other partners to jump in when needed (see below) if they see it's not only an EF thing.
I believe the new community manager at BenG that Maarten mentioned should be closely connected.

- how to organize contributions and support for other projects? A while ago, when we had contemplated organizing a Tech conference as an amalgame of project-funded events. Several projects then said they would be happy to be involved and support us: PATHS, EFashion, DM2E. Even if the funding scheme is now different, it would be good to see if this enthusiasm is still here.

- a related matter is the setting of a programme committee

- and inviting big-name speakers. If we want any we must invite them as soon as we have the date.

- relation with LOD-LAM. A long-standing item on the agenda is whether we should answer Jon Voss' request for local organizers of LOD-LAM meet-up (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/lod-lam/_viNpNRHbVE). A while ago I thought having EuropeanaTech could be a way to set a LOD-LAM meet-up somewhere in or next to the main conference. LOD-LAM collaboration is mentioned in the DoW, though informally; do you think this would be a good opportunity?

Best,

Antoine