DPLA and EDM

Antoine Isaac <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 9 Feb 2013 16:02:28 +0100

Hi,

Some important technical news from the Digital Public Library of America below. The Europeana Office have worked a lot on giving them feedback over the past weeks, and it has been largely taken onboard by a very dynamic and skilled DPLA team. It is of course important for the interoperability between our two projects, and for uptake of both by third parties, that some level of technical alignment is realized.

It is the metadata work from the past 3-4 years in the Europeana network that is paying off today. We have been taken seriously because of all the experience and lessons learnt since the early days of WP3 in Europeana Version 1.0, in projects like EuropeanaConnect, EuropeanaLibraries, MIMO, CARARE, HOPE, APEnet... (the list would be long).

Thanks to everyone who has been involved,

Antoine

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [dpla-tech] DPLA Metadata Application Profile, Version 3
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 15:05:50 -0500
From: amy rudersdorf <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>

Hello!

We are pleased to share version three of the “Digital Public Library of America Metadata Application Profile” (DPLA MAP V3).

     http://dp.la/about/map

This version is designed to build on the experience of the Europeana Data Model (EDM). In addition, it incorporates feedback from the DPLA community and digital hub pilot participants to create a balanced framework that allows us to accommodate existing and emerging data models for library, archive, and museum resources.

DPLA MAP V3 is targeted towards exposing contributed metadata via the DPLA API in the April 2013 DPLA public release. We anticipate continuing to evolve this model over time in response to ongoing community input and to extend the functionality provided by DPLA in its API and its public portal.

DPLA has chosen to publish this documentation even as we are beginning work on the formal specification in RDF of the DPLA class and properties. This is, in part, to allow time to gather additional feedback from the community. A preliminary release of the RDF schema is available at http://dp.la/about/schema.

The work to implement the re-envisioned schema was performed by a dedicated team in the U.S.:

   * Jeffrey Licht, Partner, Pod Consulting
   * Jenn Riley, Head, Carolina Digital Library and Archives, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
   * Amy Rudersdorf, Assistant Director for Content, DPLA
   * Dr. Richard J. Urban, Assistant Professor, College of Communication and Information, School of Library and Information Studies, Florida State University

With gratitude, we also recognize assistance from our friends in Europe:

   * Robina Clayphan, Interoperability Manager, Europeana and The European Library
   * Antoine Isaac, Scientific Coordinator, Europeana

While feedback is encouraged, the current version is considered a stable release through spring 2013.

Very best,