EUROPEANA-TECH  May 2012

EUROPEANA-TECH May 2012

Re: Market study on technical options for semantic feature extraction

Marco Streefkerk <[log in to unmask]>

Marco Streefkerk <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 May 2012 10:13:57 +0000

Dear Marlies,

This is an interesting market study that I have to study in detail!

I would like to draw your attention towards the CATCHPlus tool/service development in The Netherlands. I consulted my colleagues at Beeld en Geluid and they agreed it was useful to suggest adding some of the tools developed by CATCHPlus.

General informative about CATCHPlus can be found here: http://www.catchplus.nl/en/over-catchplus/

Although the outcome of CATCHPlus can be seen as a comprehensive tool kit for usage within the context of the Europeana ecosystem, some products are of particular interest for your study:
In MULTIPLY, the Institute for Sound and Vision developed a documentalist support system that suggests keywords to documentalists within a search and browse environment:  http://www.catchplus.nl/en/diensten/deelprojecten/multiply/
In CHECKERS, the RCE Cultural Heritage Service and Naturalis developed an entity checker that enables storage of relevant information (who, what, where, when) from unstructured text in a database: http://www.catchplus.nl/en/diensten/deelprojecten/checkers/

What's special about the CATCHPlus model is the participation of private companies in order to deliver new products/services based on fundamental research but supported by sustainable business models. The project is currently in its final stages. The DEN Foundation, the knowledge center for digital heritage in The Netherlands, together with KnowledgeLand Foundation were hired to deliver the necessary business plans using the BMICE roadmap (http://www.bmice.nl/ ).  Study in the context of a real international use case, comparing them to other products might help us to improve the underlying proposition of the tools, making them more future proof.

I am looking forward to hear your views about the relevance of CATCHPlus for semantic feature extraction.

Best regards,

Marco Streefkerk
senior staff

=======================