Building the EuropeanaTECH community

Maarten Brinkerink <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:17:52 +0100

As a follow-up to the welcome message by Antoine last week, I would like to take the opportunity to kick start the activity on this list with a summary of the Technical Innovation parallel session during the Council meeting in Rotterdam, which can be seen as a first step in building the EuropeanaTECH community (a sub-comunity of the Europeana Network that brings together expertise on a wide range of technology-related topics).

Maybe I should first briefly introduce myself. My name is Maarten Brinkerink and I work at the R&D department of the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision and within Europeana V2.0 were are as task leader - among other things - aiming to establish and organize collaboration within the EuropeanaTECH community. Feel free to send me an email with question related to this!

But back to the Rotterdam meeting:

The session started with few presentations on the role of the new Europeana Network in the tasks and issues related to technical innovation:

- Max Kaiser presented WP7 of Europeana V2.0 which is focused on Innovation.

- Gordon McKenna presented the results from the CCPA technical group. He recommended to the network to have a look at the work done by projects such as Linked Heritage and Europeana Inside.

- Marlies Olensky presented the main tasks of the WP7 which are the tasks related to multilinguality and Semantic.

- Breandán Knowlton gave a demo of the new EuropeanaPro collaborative work environment for the Europeana Network. It still has to be determined if this tool is also suitable for the needs of the Europeana Software Developers Network.

- I myself presented how - within Europeana V2.0 - we aim to involve the Europeana Network and beyond in technical innovation by sharing ideas and technologies among each other.

Presentations can be found here: http://pro.europeana.eu/ccpa-network-meeting-2011

During the second part of the session the audience had to brainstorm in small groups on topics which could be organized in future task group, and investigate who would be interested to chair such a task force. The results are summarized below:

Four topics were mentioned by nearly every group and have led to the proposal for four task forces:

- Europeana Data Model, chaired by Stefan Gradmann

- Linked (Open) Data, chaired by Stefan Gradmann

- Persistent Identifiers, currently no chair available

- Multilinguality, chaired by Vivien Petras

Other potential topics such as personalization, data visualization, content-based search, accessibility, topic/authority extraction and data re-use were also mentioned, with people volunteering. We will come back to you on this.

Meanwhile, please let us know if you would like to participate in task forces about these topics by replying to the message, or sending me an email off-list. Also, please let us know if you think other topics deserve a task force and you would participate in it (and also if you would be interested in chairing this task force)!

Input on the first suggestions for task forces relevant to technical innovation is very much appreciated! In the meantime we will put a work environment for the EuropeanaTECH community into place, work on a mission statement for the network and start with an inventory of relevant open source software tools. We will keep you posted on this through the list!

Best regards,

Maarten Brinkerink