EUROPEANA-TECH  March 2015

EUROPEANA-TECH March 2015

Re: Your advice on minting URIs for contextual entities

Emīls Klotiņš <[log in to unmask]>

Emīls Klotiņš <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Mar 2015 17:21:23 +0200

Hello everybody,

Any URI may have to become human-readable at some point, even if it is not meant to, unfortunately. I can't recall any direct experience recently, but I do know I have had to retype URIs from a printout and an information kiosk at some time, to enter in my tablet or mobile phone.

So, I would say that one either should implement dual URIs (numeric and "meaningful") or at least:

1) make numeric URIs as short as possible, for example, by using hexadecimals rather than decimals for numbers.

So an URI like http://data.europeana.eu/agent/123512771

would become: http://data.europeana.eu/agent/75CA7C3

Hexadecimal usage is good, because:

- it always generates shorter URIs at enough digits than using decimals // cf: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9458614/at-what-point-do-hexadecimal-representations-of-numbers-take-up-less-chars-than and it never generates longer URIs than using decimals;

- it has extremely widespread usage in computers and is trivial to implement in any programming language; you can adopt hex IDs for objects without any need for translation to decimals at any point;

- it has a limited "vocabulary" of [0-9] plus [A-F], making it easier to read off and repeat groups than using the whole alphabet

2) the digits should be grouped at predefined positions, if expected to be longer than 5-6 digits, again making them easier to remember and/or rewrite/reuse.

I suspect the software product keys have evolved mostly to be grouped in groups of 4, like: AB12-CD34-56EF for much the same reason.

So in my opinion and ideal URI might well be something like:

http://data.europeana.eu/agent/75CA-7C3F-8AA3

which while avoiding the need to describe any particular object, still retains some readability.

In decimal that would be object ID: 129512528382627, which even if grouped at four, would be 1295-1252-8382-627 -- at least one group longer.

Just my 2 cents.

Emils Klotins
Deputy director, CTO
National Library of Latvia